Monday, January 19, 2009

new york january 19

It was bitter cold yesterday.
I went to see The Reader at the Paris theatre on 59th street there, near the Plaza. I love that corner of New York.
At the end I had an interesting conversation with my new German friend but we both found the film quite unsatisfying. Ralph Feines became a new face of German Guilt, I guess although I had the feeling I'd just seen a very bad version of The Crucible (arthur miller play).

I was going to walk home through the park because I love being cold cold cold and coming in doors and running the bath but I don't know, maybe I'd seen enough people in the bath. I got a cab instead.

This morning, it was warmer although it was snowing a little bit.
I pulled on my swedish ice skating skirt over my pants and biked down to 7th & 27th to meet some friends.
There are bike paths all over the town now.
You can bike right through Times Square. The other day I went to the bank and almost bumped into another new bike hook up place on the pavement. I guess they are putting them in at night. Now they are everywhere. It's so easy to get around and find a place to lock your bike.

Anyway, at around 11 o'clock it started to snow and it didn't stop till around 5pm. I was glad to be indoors. Biking back through the park i had to watch the snow on the roads. Lots of runners out. It's so beautiful. So sweet to see all the people with their various dogs making sillhouettes everywhere.
My friend Alexandra sent me the perfect reading book (Shantaram) along with a darling pair of warm socks with little tassels. The book is set in India. Mumbai actually. And it's very vivid in parts. Some really good sentences. The sort that make you stop for a minute. I can even stop after a chapter and put it down quite able to look forward to the next chapter tomorrow which isn't the case with a lot of books.
But it wasn't til today when I put the socks on and opened the book again that I understood all the times that she had said to me, "i hate the winter. i'd much rather be on a warm beach." She loves to be warm.

No comments: